Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Filefixer Pro Repair Tools

I mentioned Filefixer Pro a few days ago.  At the time, there was no tool to repair files encrypted by the program.

That's changed.  The first was reported here by "Bobby" in the comments to my post.  Anti-Filefix does seem to be able to unencrypt the files.  I haven't been able to test it (I don't have any infected computers), but is looks pretty simple.  I can't guarantee it, but it was worth a try.

And now, Symantec has come up with a decrypting tool.  (Link is at the bottom of the page or you can download it directly).

So, for now, the tools are there.  But who knows what tomorrow may bring?

I had a particularly stubborn infections yesterday.  The software prevented Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, or Combofix from working, even in safe mode (I didn't have a chance to use Smitfraudfix).  The student was finally able to clean it using Norman Malware Cleaner, a tool I'd never tried before and which I don't recall where I found.  Evidently, Antivirus 360 didn't know about it either, since it didn't stop it from running.

I did learn one trick that I didn't get a chance to test out, though. Some sources say that if you can't install Malwarebytes to clean the computer, rename the Malwarebytes installation file (the name doesn't matter).  It looks like the virus identifies the software by name and will let it install if it's not called "malwarebytes."  You may also need to rename the executable in addition to the installation file.